Hi! I’m Debbi, a travel blogger who always hikes with a lightsaber. I guess you could coin me as a geeky traveler.
I’m also an animal lover, food monster, pun aficionado (my Instagram captions usually begin with a related pun), Star Wars geek, and professional bargain hunter. I’ve been lucky enough to travel to over 75 countries and 6 continents thus far.
I’m originally from California but am currently based in beautiful Sydney, Australia. Thus, my tagline, ‘Saber’ing the moment in Sydney, was born.
And yeah, I know. There are thousands of travel blogs accessible worldwide. How am I different?
I primarily focus on writing about (and encouraging) solo female travel coupled with outdoor adventure, while flaunting my geeky side. I classify my “style” as budget backpacking, since I’ve stayed in hundreds of hostels around the world.
I’m not someone you’ll ever see parading around the Eiffel Tower in a flowy dress and long hair just for the ‘Gram.
I’m the exact opposite of that, in fact.
I rarely wear makeup and you’ll always see me in my GORETEX hiking boots, leggings, and a tank, my hair usually in a messy bun.
I mix in destination, food, and geek guides with personal anecdotes of my travel highlights and misadventures. I do all of this in hopes that I inspire you to explore more of our beautiful, limitless world.
Some of my most popular articles include the following:
- Commonly Asked Questions for Solo Female Travelers
- Mental Health Awareness: My Perspective
- 29 Things That I Learned in My 20s: Love, Life, and Career
- Confessions of a Solo Female Traveler
- Ship Life: Lessons from Two Years at Sea
- How Travel Has Changed Me
- On Adversity and Strength
And these articles for other prominent travel blogs:
I left my first job out of university, one that many would deem a “dream job,” at the Disneyland Resort in 2013. While my love for Disney remains strong, I’ve never once regretted that decision to leave my comfort zone.
I’ve done some cool stuff in the past years. I’ve:
- Climbed glaciers in Iceland and New Zealand
- Worked on the largest cruise ship that sailed through Antarctic glaciers
- Bungy jumped in four countries
- Backpacked through Europe and the UK
- Ate my way through Japan
- Been to the “end of the world” (Ushuaia, Argentina)
- Snorkeled with sea lions in Chile
- Paintballed in Uruguay
- Saw the Northern Lights as part of “work”
- Threw axes in Alaska
- Risked my life to see puffins in Iceland
- Spontaneously ran into Andy Serkis outside my Zermatt hostel
- Hiked real-life Middle-earth and Mount Doom
- Hiked to the base of the Matterhorn
- Written a behemoth Lord of the Rings Guide to New Zealand for my fellow geeks
… and documented all of my adventures along the way as a means of inspiring you to live out your wildest dreams.
As a mental health advocate, I’m also here to inspire anyone struggling or trying to find their way in life.
Having dealt with issues like depression, an eating disorder, and anxiety throughout periods of my life, I understand first-hand how tough life can be. I want to be a source of hope to prove that anyone can accomplish their dreams, regardless of any factors.
I hope that my content inspires you to ‘saber’ the moment, regardless of your location in the world!